Monday, April 12, 2010

Abbaya/abaya/anyway you spell it. The definition is below;

The abbaya The abaya "cloak" (Arabic: عباية‎ abāyah or عباءة abā'ah, plural عبايات abāyāh) is an over garment worn by some women in parts of the Islamic world. It could be described as a long-sleeve robe-like dress. It is the traditional form of hijab, or Islamic dress, for many countries of the Arabian peninsula such as Saudi Arabia or United Arab Emirates, where it is the national dress.

Traditional abayat are black and may be either a large square of fabric draped from the shoulders or head or a long caftan. The abaya covers the whole body except the face, feet, and hands. It can be worn with the niqāb, a face veil covering all but the eyes. Some women choose to wear long black gloves, so their hands are covered as well.

My experiences in the black cloak, I put it on, and it’s actually to me light but when you hit that sun, a new whole experience of feeling HEAT like nothing before, being from USA our weather is quite normal and warm. This is something that I wasn’t ‘preparing’ for. I had to find a cooler way of staying cool. I remember the first time I put the cover on my head, the hijjab, I couldn’t do it, so my BIL wife taught me how to do it. I did have some spills with the black cloak falling down for one and lots of occasions, laugh it off. And some not to happy about.

I wonder how it felt back then, so my husband and I sat down w/his mother my MIL and asked her questions about the infamous abbaya. During her time, her abbaya was woven from wool, and underneath heavier clothes during winter season it was quite warm for her. She mentioned that she wasn’t allowed to walk outside so she had her ‘servants’ or maids go out for her to obtain the necessary means of life, supplies, food, water, and so on. On these abbayas is nothing just black but now we are in the modern times, different styles, and colors quite different from the past and present.

No comments:

Post a Comment